Want to buying your Council home?

If you currently live in social housing, you may be able to buy your home at a generous discount. If you live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, you can apply to buy your council house if it’s your only or main home and you’ve had a public sector landlord (eg, a council, housing association or NHS trust) for at least 5 years.

The Right To Buy scheme applies to council tenants and the similar ‘Right To Acquire’ scheme for housing association properties.

There are a number of linked schemes providing further assistance such as ‘Social Homebuy’, ‘Older People’s Shared Ownership’, and Home Ownership For People with Long-Term Disabilities.

Detailed information can be found on our website Home-moving.co.uk.


Watch out!

There are numerous companies that offer assistance in arranging Right to Buy purchases, but they often charge fees for services that should be free, such as obtaining an application form from the Council.

Note also that having bought your home, if you later lose it because you can’t afford the mortgage repayments and it’s repossessed, there will be no obligation on the Council to rehouse you.

For further advice please don’t hesitate to ask us any questions!