What type of survey do I need?

How to pick the right type of survey

Building Survey

Building SurveyFormerly known as ‘Full Structural Surveys’, this type of survey provides a very detailed description of a building’s construction and condition. Ideal for period properties, buildings that you want to renovate or convert, or those that have already been extensively altered.

Building Surveys allow the surveyor to express extensive detailed advice and are typically at least 20 pages long. Essential for properties older than about 1880, thatched cottages, larger homes with 5 or more bedrooms, and for buildings of non-conventional construction.

As well as covering all urgent and significant defects, a Building Survey will report on a wide range of less serious issues. A valuation is not normally included unless requested. Carried out by a qualified MRICS or FRICS chartered surveyor.

You might want to download this short RICS pdf guide:    Home-Surveys

Homebuyer Survey

Homebuyer SurveyThis is the most popular type of survey, suitable for the vast majority of homes built since the late Victorian period. The inspection covers the whole property inside and out, from the loft down to the drains (where accessible) and is written on a specially designed RICS report, typically about 10 to 12 pages long.

A simple ‘traffic light’ summary makes it simple and quick to read with each part of the building allocated an easy-to-understand ‘Condition Rating’ of 1, 2 or 3.

A HomeBuyer Report (HBR) will cover all significant defects – in fact anything that could materially affect the value. It also alerts you to future maintenance problems. The report can also include a valuation and insurance calculation if required. Carried out by a qualified MRICS or FRICS chartered surveyor. Depending on the property, a typical HBR might cost around 60% of the price of an equivalent Building Survey.

Not normally suitable for older period buildings (ie those built before 1880), unusually large houses, rambling mansions, or properties in need of extensive renovation.

You might want to download this short RICS pdf guide:    Home-Surveys

Valuation Report

Valuation ReportThis is the simplest type of property inspection. A market valuation report from a chartered surveyor is recognised as having legal status, unlike those produced by unqualified estate agents. However inspections for valuation purposes are relatively limited, only commenting on any obvious defects that have a major bearing on value.

The prices quoted are for a standard valuation report of 2 or 3 pages normally including a professionally calculated BCIS rebuild cost insurance valuation.  Ideal for use in tax and matrimonial cases, or for redeeming  ‘Help To Buy’ shared equity loans. Where any specific additional work is required (e.g. for use in court proceedings or where expert witness work is anticipated) please complete the quotation form as normal, then discuss your precise requirements with your chosen surveyor in advance of them visiting the property.

In all cases, our valuation figures are carefully researched and calculated with reference to at least 3 recent local sales of comparable properties.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

EPCFor home sellers, an EPC is legally required before marketing a property. For Landlords an EPC is also legally required when letting a property.

The EPC gives homes an ‘A to G’ energy rating, similar to those on new fridges. Only qualified and certificated Domestic Energy Assessors are allowed to prepare Energy Performance Certificates.

Rightsurvey offer a swift and efficient service at some of the lowest prices available in the UK.

Condition Reports

Home Condition ReportThese budget surveys are less detailed than RICS Homebuyers reports, and were originally developed to help sellers identify defects prior to putting their properties on the market. However they are now mostly commissioned by purchasers who want more information than provided by their lender’s mortgage valuation (which only assesses the property’s market value).

Condition Reports (also called ‘Home Condition Reports’) are prepared by accredited Home Inspectors, who may or may not also be qualified chartered surveyors, although there is an RICS version called the ‘RICS Condition Report’. The inspection is more limited than for Homebuyer surveys and the report is written in a standard format with brief descriptions, although they use the same easy-to-understand ‘traffic light’ condition ratings to rank defects. Unlike Building Surveys and Homebuyer reports they don’t usually explain the causes of defects or give much advice on suggested repairs, and there is no option to include a valuation or insurance reinstatement figures. These are straightforward surveys suitable for more modern houses where no significant problems are anticipated.

You might want to download this short RICS pdf guide:    Home-Surveys

Scottish Home Report / Single Survey

Scotland Home SurveyA Home Report is required by law for the majority of homes for sale in Scotland.

Chartered surveyors are the only professionals allowed to carry out the single survey, valuation and energy report (EPC) contained in a Home Report.

The single survey is similar to the popular RICS Homebuyer report.

Historic Property Surveys

Historic PropertyIf you are considering the purchase of a Listed building, or one that’s very old, help from an expert could be useful – especially if you’re planning to make alterations, build an extension or carry out repair work. A Building Surveyor who specialises in historic and Listed buildings will be able to inspect and report, taking careful consideration of the traditional materials and techniques originally used in the construction of the building. When it comes to proceeding with alterations, then in addition to planning permission there may be various other consents that, by law, will need to be addressed prior to commencing building work.

Structural Engineer’s Reports

Structural Engineers ReportIf your home is showing worrying signs of movement – serious cracking, possible subsidence or serious bowing to the roof – it may be best to appoint a Structural Engineer in the first instance. If the problem is confined to one area and you do not require an inspection of the whole building then you will only need a Structural Engineer’s inspection. They can also provide services in relation to making structural alterations and the design of new buildings.

Building Regulations Consultants

Building Regulations ConsultantsAny any sort of structural alterations to a property must by law have Building Regulations consent. So you may need to make a new Building Regulations application, or possibly an application for retrospective ‘regularisation’ for an existing ‘unofficial’ alteration. In fact Building Regulations compliance is required for a wide range of building work.

Professional guidance is normally required to draw up plans that include all the necessary technical detail for a successful application to ensure that the work fully complies. Specialists include Building Surveyors, Structural Engineers, and Architects all of whom are familiar and experienced with regard to Building Control requirements.

Party Wall Surveyors


The Party Wall Act applies where someone wishes to carry out building work to a wall that separates your house from your neighbour’s property – as well as construction work that’s close to a boundary.

This might involve the erection of a new building, changes to an existing property or even excavating within 6 metres of an adjoining property or boundary.

For example, if you want to install the end of a beam into a party wall, dig new foundations or remove an adjoining chimney breast, it’s advisable to appoint a professional Party Wall Surveyor who can serve the necessary Notices and arrange a subsequent ‘Award’ in accordance with the Act.

Or you might want to download this free RICS pdf guide:   RICS-consumer-guide-Party-Walls

Architectural Design Services

Architectural design experts can help you with everything from a small extension to new self-build home. Qualified architects are members of RIBA. But choosing a professional designer to draw up your plans doesn’t necessarily mean having to appoint an architect. For example, some building surveyors (MRICS or FRICS) provide architectural services. As well as drawing up plans, they can write a specification and tender the job.

What matters most is finding someone with the right experience and knowledge to do a good job. So here you will find a range of professional local designers in your area to choose from.

Designers should be able to advise on complying with relevant legislation. For larger projects most can also perform the role of project manager and administer the contract fairly between the employer and building contractor on site, up to completion.

They will know what information to submit for planning and Building Regulations applications, and should be able to guide clients through more complex planning issues, such as repairs to Listed buildings.

Factors to consider include:-

  • Is your project big or small?
  • Do you just want drawings for design purposes and a planning application?
  • Do you also want (more complex) drawings for a Building Regulations application?
  • Do you want them to manage the project on site?
  • Do you need someone experienced in conservation of historic buildings?

Local designers should already be familiar with your council’s planning policies and how to overcome technical queries with the Building Regulations. Ask for a ‘free consultation’ to discuss your ideas in more detail. Ask to see examples of previous work, drawings and completed buildings.