Any building work that’s ‘structural’ must have Building Regulations consent


So before you carry out work such as constructing an extension,  converting a loft or garage, or building a new house, you must first ensure it complies with the Building Regs.

Consent is also required for any structural alterations you want to make, for example work to drainage systems, roof structures, removal of chimney breasts, fitting roof windows, and demolishing or making new openings in walls.

In addition, works such as fitting replacement windows and most electrical work also require consent, although approved contractors can usually ‘self-certify’ compliance.


The Approved Documents

The Building Regulations are grouped into ’approved documents’ (A to Q) according to subject. Architectural designers base their designs around these requirements.

The normal procedure is to produce drawings (typically 1:50 or 1:100 scale) of the proposed works and submit them to your local council Building Control Department, where they will be checked for compliance.

For larger projects you may be asked to obtain structural engineer’s calculations, so Building Control can be sure the loads are adequately supported.




Part A:     Structural safety

Part B:     Fire safety

Part C:     Resistance to contaminants and moisture

Part D:     Toxic substances

Part E:     Resistance to the passage of sound

Part F:     Ventilation

Part G:     Sanitation, hot water safety and water efficiency

Part H:     Drainage and waste disposal

Part J:      Heat producing appliances

Part K:     Protection from falling

Part L:     Conservation of fuel and power

Part M:    Access to and use of buildings

Part N:     Glazing  safety (now included in Part K etc)

Part P:     Electrical safety

Part Q:     Security: dwellings

Document 7:     Workmanship & materials