How do I get a structural survey quote online    housequestion0002-1


How do I get a structural survey quote online or is it the same thing as a building survey quote?

Asked by:  Eve


k12175420     ANSWER

Hi Eve,

The short answer is yes. What used to be called ‘Structural Surveys’ are now called Building Surveys. The reason the RICS changed the name was because surveyors doing (less expensive) Homebuyers surveys also report relevant structural issues.

While we’re at it, if you want a RICS HomeBuyer’s Report quote, it is also widely known as a Homebuyers survey! This is by far the most popular survey and suitable for the vast majority of houses and flats (see description).

However if you’re worried about something specifically structural (such as cracking in walls, or leaning chimney stacks) you might want to get a structural engineer to check this one thing, rather than having a survey of the whole house.

To get a range of quotes online – which you can then compare before you buy – just click on Building Surveys or Homebuyer Surveys  or Structural Inspections and fill in the property’s postcode etc.

Independent sources like Which? magazine, as well as conveyancing solicitors, always advise that as a buyer you get a survey done once your offer has been accepted. Nearly all properties have some concerns that you would otherwise not be aware of. So it’s important to know exactly what you’re buying. A survey will describe the condition of the building in some detail and if there are problems it will give you a powerful reason to go back and negotiate the price down.

Or you could get the seller to fix the problems before you move in – your solicitor can add this as a condition of the purchase in the contract. It should save you a lot of stress, hassle and money that buying blind you would have to spend on repairs and maintenance.






Save money by cutting out the banks

Surveyor with clipboard

By arranging your home survey directly online - rather than via a mortgage lender - you can save the large chunk of the survey fee that the banks normally keep. They may still want to instruct a valuer to carry out their mortgage valuation, but don’t let them try to sell you an expensive Homebuyer or Building Survey from one of the large, target-driven, corporate firms on their 'panel'.


“We would like to put on record how impressed we were by the service we received Rightsurvey unfailingly followed up our enquiries and concerns, and Nick’s advice on maintaining an older property is proving invaluable.”
Peter Spink, Sheffield

Recommended by the experts

Rightsurvey is featured exclusively in the Haynes Period Property Manual and also in the best selling Haynes Victorian House and Home Extension Manuals.